In this post we are going to be talking about types of entertainment, looking at some useful vocabulary for talking about forms of media and events, expressing opinions about them and reading and writing reviews. If you want to check out all of our conversation / speaking activities, just click here.
Ask and answer these questions…
- What different forms of entertainment can you think of?
- Which of these forms of entertainment do you enjoy most / least?
- How often do you do each of these these things?
- always, regularly, often, sometimes, from time to time, hardly ever, never.
- Once a week, once a month, twice a year.
Check out this video. There is lots of useful vocabulary here.
Which of these events have you attended? Did you enjoy them?
- A gig / performance
- A stand up comedy show
- A concert
- An opera
- A musical
- A magic show
- The circus
- outdoor Cinema / theatre
- A parade or procession
- A pool party
- A food / drink festival
- A fair
This exercise from Tim ‘s Free English Lesson Plans asks for your opinion about a range of statements related to entertainment. Talk about whether you agree or disagree with these statements and why.
A review is what critics write about films, series, books, games or theatre (for example). Lot’s of people read reviews before buying tickets to events, renting or buying media.
Check out this theatre review from UK newspaper “The Guardian”
Check out this theatre review in the guardian.
Vocabulary of Reviews
What do you think that these vocabulary items refer to? Are they relevant to discussing films, books, series, restaurants, theatre, board games, videogames, art exhibitions, concerts? Some can be used to describe various media.
Reviewing Media & Events.
Review a book, videogame, board game, play, film, series, art exhibition or other form of leisure, tell the rest of the class what you thought of it.
The Future of Entertainment
- How do you think that entertainment will be different in the future?
- Do you think that forms of entertainment that we enjoy now will change or disappear?
- Do you think that new forms of entertainment will become popular?
- What do you imagine the entertainment media of the future will be like?
This video shows an art installation in the streets of Barcelona. Have you ever been to an event like this? would you like to go to an event like this?
This video shows a virtual art installation by the musician Bjork and shows how users can experience her music in an interactive virtual 3d space. Have you ever seen anything like this? Would you like to?
Escape rooms have become a new form or entertainment. They are popular all over the world.
- Are there any escape rooms where you live?
- What is an escape room?
- Have you ever been in an escape room? Did you like it? Would you like to try an escape room?
Are there any forms of entertainment that are missing from this topic? Let us know in the comments box below!