This is a speaking activity with conversation questions to practise talking about the future. This exercise is part of a complete lesson on future forms. The grammar exercises for this topic are here. This lesson is part of a complete and free upper-intermediate English course. You can register for the course here for free.
You can use these questions to practise different future forms in English.
Talking about plans for the future.
When we talk about our plans for the future, we often use the present continuous and “going to”. You can study the grammar of these forms here.
- What are you going to do this afternoon / evening?
- What are you going to do tonight?
- What do you think you are going to eat today?
- What are you going to do at the weekend?
Making predictions about the future
- Do you think that the economic situation in your country is going to get better or worse?
- What do you think that the weather will be like this week / this month?
- What presents do you think that you will get for your next birthday / Christmas?
- If you aren’t married, do you think that you will ever get married?
- If you don’t have children do you think that you will ever have children? When? How many?
- Do you think that you will change your job?
- When do you think that you will retire?
Do you agree or disagree with the following predictions?
- Humans will live on many different planets.
- People will live healthier and longer lives.
- AI will produce a lot of the media that we consume, such as novels, news and music.
- Almost all workers will be replaced with machines and AI.
- We will all work remotely.
- All the products and energy that we consume will be made from sustainable sources.
- Most workers will be able to work flexible timetables.
- Most minority languages will disappear and the world will be dominated by a just a couple of major languages like English, Spanish and Chinese.
- Time travel will be possible.
- We will use devices connected to our brains to communicate with each other and consume media.
- People will not eat real meat, it will be replaced by synthetic alternatives that taste the same and are more sustainable to produce.
- People will eat food that is made instantly by 3D printers.
- The Earth, or many parts of it, will be inhospitable due to climate change.
- People will receive universal income payments whether they work or not.
- People will exist in virtual realities which are indistinguishable from reality.
- The poor will be poorer and the rich will be richer.
Talking about what you will be doing in the future. (future continuous & future perfect)
What will you be doing at…?
- 9PM tonight?
- 9 AM tomorrow morning?
- This time next week?
- in 10 years time?
What will you have done….?
- by the end of today?
- by the end of this week?
- by the end of this month?
- by the end of the year?
- by the time you die?